2018 Mt Kilimanjaro Adventure, Africa
Our next Xpedition to Kilimanjaro over Thanksgiving 2018.
Kilimanjaro is both the highest mountain in Tanzania and Africa as well as the highest freestanding mountain in the world. As the highest mountain in Africa it is one of the famed ‘7 Summits’. Rising to a mighty 19,341 feet (5,895 m) above sea level, it lies within the 756-square-kilometer Kilimanjaro National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and one of the few places on earth that encompasses every ecological life zone—tropical jungle, savannah, desert, montane forests, and alpine zone.
Of the seven main routes used to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, the Machame Route is the most popular path. It is the route of choice for many people because it provides impressive views and a variety of habitats. About 50% of all climbers, and most seasoned climbers, choose the Machame Route.
- Thurs 15 Nov — Depart US
- Fri 16 Nov — Arrive Kilimanjaro International Airport, Arusha We will land at KIA at approximately 8:30pm and be met by our lead African guide. We will then transfer to the Mt Meru Hotel in Arusha where we will be welcomed by friendly staff and checked in to our rooms for a good night’s sleep.
- Sat 17 Nov — After breakfast we will visit local markets where you can do some shopping. The afternoon will be spent in final preparations for the start of the climb the next day.
- Sun 18 Nov — We will leave the hotel at 9:00am and drive for about an hour to the Machame Gate 5,380ft. We sign in the park register and then we are off! This first day is about 4 hours long. You are climbing up through the rainforest and it can often live up to its name and rain! We will have lunch once we arrive at Machame Camp (9,350ft). Our porters will have already set up your tents as well as the meal tent and kitchen tent. All you need to do is set up your personal gear in the tent and relax!
- Mon 19 Nov — Machame Camp to Shira Camp 12,500ft. Today we continue to ascent through and out of the rainforest. We start to get amazing views of the mountain so have your cameras ready. We overnight in Shira Plateau Camp.
- Tues 20 Nov — Shira Camp to Barranco Camp 13,044ft. We will leave camp and climb to the Lava Tower where we will stop for lunch. We can scramble to the top of the Tower for stunning views of the upper mountain. We will then continue to the Barranco Camp.
- Wed 21 Nov — Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp 13,106ft. Immediately after breakfast we will climb up and over the great Barranco Wall. We then traverse round to Karanga Camp. There is almost no elevation gain so this doubles as an acclimatization day.
- Thurs 22 Nov — Happy Thanksgiving! Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp 15,331ft. We will gain some more elevation as we make our way to our final camp, Barafu Camp. After lunch we will have a final team briefing for the summit push ahead. Get your gear ready, be absolutely sure that you have everything in place and take a nap. It is going to be a long night. The nervous excitement in the camp is palpable.
- Fri 23 Nov — Summit Day! Barafu Camp to Summit, 19,340ft and descend to Millennium Camp 12,590ft. Sometime after midnight we will wake you up (assuming you have slept) and have a light breakfast ready for you. It will probably be COLD and you will need all that warm gear you brought. The ascent to Stella Point will take about 6 hours. It is fairly steep but we always set a very steady pace so we generally keep the team together. Stella Point is on the crater rim and from it you can now see the final section of the route to the summit. It is much less steep after Stella Point and the sun is probably starting to come up. We will pause for a warm drink and snack before traversing round the crater rim to Uhuru Peak, the summit of Kilimanjaro – the Roof of Africa. After we have all had a chance to take pictures and enjoy the spectacular views we head back down the way we came up to Barafu Camp. We don't stay here though. We will pack up and head on down to Mweka Camp where we have dinner.
- Sat 24 Nov — We will continue our decent through the rainforest to Mweka Gate where we will have a celebration meal before returning to the Mt Meru Hotel for a well-deserved shower and sleep in a real bed!
- Sun 25 Nov — Full day in Arusha to rest, relax, shop and celebrate! Side excursions such as a safari in Arusha National Park or a visit to the snake sanctuary are available. We depart Kilimanjaro International Airport in the evening.
- Mon 26 Nov — Arrive US
Cost Per Person Not Covered:
- Round-trip travel to Tanzania
- Lunch and dinners in Arusha
- Alcoholic beverages
- Additional hotel nights
Cost Per Person Covers:
- All in-country transportation, airport transfers
- All hotel nights as shown in above itinerary
- All meals on Kilimanjaro
- Kilimanjaro permits
Want more information? Contact us
Summit Xperience is proud to
recommend these companies